Like most of you, we have a LOVE/HATE relationship with our fair city. We LOVE the 10 months of patio weather, the friendly people, the State Fair and of course the Tex-Mex (especially when it comes with a Mambo Taxi), but we HATE August. That’s right, August. It’s the worst month of the year in Dallas. It’s hot, but not July hot – where you’ve just started to get used to the heat and you still have the energy to sneak in an early round of golf or game of tennis. No, this is “we haven’t had a day under 100 in over a week and my glasses fog up when I leave the house hot”. It’s miserable and over the years us Dallasites have become experts in beating the August heat. Welcome to our new summer blog series on the best places to ESCAPE to this summer (and some of the fab homes you can buy or rent there!).
My personal August escape is Breckenridge, Colorado. Breck (as those familiar with the town call it) has a true East Dallas vibe; full of excellent independently owned shops and restaurants with a casual vibe…it feels like home…in the mountains! We LOVE this home at 131 Windwood Circle in Breckenridge, listed by Laurie Huggins. The Design Aesthetic + View + Location make it the perfect luxury escape in Breckenridge. Listed at $7,495,00, this incredible home has 6 Bedrooms, 6.4 Baths, 6 Fireplaces and 7,995 square feet on almost half an acre.
Who wouldn’t want to wake up to this view?
A little pool and cards (+ bar of course) is the perfect place to hang out with the extended family on your vacation!
The media room is complete with everything you need to sing Karaoke (including costumes!)…yes, we said COSTUMES!
Not in the market for a luxury property in Colorado, but looking for a fun way to beat the heat anyway? Me too! I’ve included my family’s Top 5 list of our favorite things to do in Breck!
5. Downstairs at Eric’s – great pizza + a ton of video games! We love to hit this restaurant up on a rainy night. Order a pizza and a bottle of wine, give the kiddos $10 to play the games and sit back and relax. Bonus: the pizza’s really good!
4. Hike – There are so many great hikes in and around Breckenridge! Whether you want to take the lift to the top of the mountain and explore some of the winter ski trails or climb to see a waterfall, there will be a hike for you. Start early and keep an eye on the weather! An afternoon thunderstorm on the mountain can be dangerous!
3. Peak 8 Summer Fun Park – almost all of the resort towns turn the top of the mountain into a fun park in the summer. Think Alpine slides, mountain roller coasters, and zip lines!
2. Horseback Riding at BreckStables! One of the only places I’ve found that will accommodate the littles, this is a “MUST” for our family. An hour trail ride through the mountains with a small group is an excellent way to see the local topography and scenery.
1. White Water Rafting with AVA – again, only of the only places that the littles can be included in the fun, AVA has rides for 3 and up! Our little guy is already talking about jumping off the cliffs into the river again this year!